At the recent 2020 UniSA Sport Awards Night, the UniSA Shodokan Club and its founder Andrew Bereny were celebrated for 25 years of service.
Established in 1995, the UniSA Shodokan Aikido Club has significantly increased its female membership over the years as well as introduced junior members. The club has had a notable presence at both national and international competitions. Special highlights include:
• Many members competing at international competitions including the World Aikido Championships and International Aikido Festivals
• Several gold medals at national competitions
• Several members graded to black belt
• Establishing interclub competitions
• 2002 International visit from Nariyama Shihan – Japan Aikido’s Head and Chief Technical Instructor
Andrew Bereny founded the UniSA Shodokan Aikido Club in 1995 and has since held numerous club committee member positions including President, Secretary and General Committee Member. He is currently the club’s Treasurer and Instructor. Andrew’s significant achievements over the last 25 years include:
• 2008 UniLife Leadership Award
• Promotion to Roku Dan (6 Dan)
• Instructed numerous students to black belt grading
• Coached numerous students to gold medals at national competition
• Organised various interstate and overseas trips for students to compete in international competitions including the International Aikido Festival and World Aikido Championships
• Organised intervarsity competitions between UniSA and Flinders University
• Organised national and international Aikido Instructors to travel to Adelaide to host seminars for students
In addition to his contribution to the UniSA Shodokan Aikido Club, Andrew is Chairman of Sports Aikido Australia, has refereed at the WSAF Aikido Championships internationally, is a member of both the National Sports Aikido Australia Examination & Promotions Committee and the National Sports Aikido Australia Referees and Officials Committee and is Head of Sports Aikido Australia Tournament Organising Committee. We congratulate and thank Andrew for his outstanding contribution to the UniSA Shodokan Aikido Club.
We congratulate Andrew and the UniSA Shodokan Aikido Club on its significant achievements and longevity and thank all club and committee members for their outstanding contribution to the UniSA Sport community.